Colin Schälli: An Artist and Designer with a Creative Vision
Colin Schälli is a renowned graphic designer, artist and industrial designer known for his unique creative expression and innovative approach. With a passion for art and design that started at a young age, Colin has established himself as a leading figure in the industry.
Born in the picturesque town of Chur, Switzerland, in 1980, Colin's artistic journey began when he embarked on an apprenticeship as a draftsman at Atelier Peter Zumthor. This experience laid the foundation for his future career, allowing him to develop a keen eye for detail and a deep understanding of design principles.
Colin's educational pursuits led him to the Zurich University of the Arts (ZHdK), where he studied industrial design from 2002 to 2006. During his time at the university, he honed his skills in various design disciplines, including graphic design, layout design, typography, and logo design. It was here that Colin's creative vision started to take shape, setting him on a path to create remarkable and thought-provoking designs.
Following his studies, Colin's career gained momentum when he collaborated with the renowned recycling bag label FREITAG in Zurich from 2003 to 2006. As a freelance designer, he played an instrumental role in shaping the company's graphic and packaging design projects. This opportunity allowed Colin to showcase his versatility and further refine his design style.
In 2006, Colin Schälli took a bold step and established his own design studio, embarking on a path of creative independence. Since then, he has worked with numerous national and international companies and brands, focusing on corporate and product design. His ability to seamlessly blend form and function has earned him accolades, including multiple Design Prize Switzerland awards. Additionally, Colin has received recognition from the Foundation for Grisons Arts and Crafts and the Culture Promotion Prize of the Canton of Graubünden.
Colin's creative journey has taken him to various corners of the globe, with his works exhibited in prominent cities such as L.A., Paris, Milan, Zurich, Tokyo, and Kyoto. Notable exhibitions include showcasing the FREITAG Hangtag and V30 POS Skid at the Museum für Gestaltung Zurich, displaying the con.temporary furniture collection at Musée d'Art Moderne de Paris, and presenting the V30 POS Skid at the A+D Museum in Los Angeles. His designs have also been featured at renowned events such as Design Tide in Tokyo, Showcase in Tokyo, Salone del Mobile Milan, and the IFFT interior lifestyle exhibition in Tokyo. One of his notable exhibitions includes "I AM URBAN" at the Urban Research Gallery in Kyoto.
In addition to exhibitions, Colin has shared his expertise and insights through lectures at distinguished events like Genuine Swiss - the Swiss Design Symposium in Tokyo, as well as Sangsangmadang in Seoul. He has also served as a design jury member for Die Besten 2011, hosted by Hochparterre magazine.
Colin's exceptional works have been featured in notable publications, including "Wonderwood" published by Birkhäuser Verlag, and "FREITAG Ein Taschenbuch" & "Spielwitz und Klarheit" published by Lars Müller Publishers. His designs and creative endeavors have been showcased in magazines such as Esquire, Hochparterre, Milk, Brutus, and Casa Brutus, solidifying his reputation as a visionary artist and designer.
Today, Colin Schälli continues to inspire with his exceptional designs and thought-provoking creations. With an unwavering commitment to pushing boundaries and a dedication to delivering extraordinary design solutions, Colin's work embodies his artistic vision and leaves a lasting impression on those who encounter it.
AWARDS, LECTURES, JURY, EXHIBITIONS AND PUBLICATIONS
• 2 x Design Prize Switzerland
• Foundation for Grisons Arts and Crafts
• Red Dot Design Award
• Culture Promotion Prize of the Canton of Graubünden
• Genuine Swiss, Swiss Design Symposium Tokyo
• Sangsangmadang, Seoul
• Lucerne School of Art and Design, Lucerne
• Die Besten 2011, Hochparterre
Exhibitions: various exhibitions in L.A., Paris, Milan, Zurich, Tokyo and Kyoto. For example:
• exhibition of FREITAG Hangtag and V30 POS Skid in the Museum für Gestaltung Zurich
• exhibition of con.temporary furniture at Musée d'Art Moderne de Paris
• exhibition of V30 POS Skid at the A+D Museum in Los Angeles
• exhibition of con.temporary furniture at Design Tide in Tokyo
• exhibition of con.temporary furniture at Showcase in Tokyo
• exhibition of con.temporary furniture at Salone del Mobile Milan
• exhibition of con.temporary furniture at the IFFT interior lifestyle exhibition in Tokyo
• exhibition of I AM URBAN at Urban Research Gallery in Kyoto - to mention a few.
• published under Birkhäuser Verlag; Wonderwood
• published under Lars Müller Publishers; FREITAG Ein Taschenbuch & Spielwitz und Klarheit
• published in magazines such as Esquire, Hochparterre, Milk, Brutus and Casa Brutus
c/o Beat Ris
Currently employed at Designers' Club Zurich Switzerland